Food, Days Out and Travel stories from Brighton, London and the Rest of the World

Sunday

Days out in Sussex - A Country idyll and an abundance of lilac in Falmer village and Withdean Park

Taking my dear ones to somewhere I've been to and think is absolutely gorgeous is made even better when it turns out that they love it too.


Falmer village is just one of those places, it helps that the sun was shining and everywhere spring was working her magic.


Falmer village


The birds were tweeting (and so was I), greylag geese swam across the pond with their goslings and flowers scattered the ground in the graveyard.

The buildings were covered in the traditional flint of Sussex and one house had the date of 1732 on the front of it. The village itself is mentioned in the Domesday book and was at times held by Thomas Cromwell (of Wolf Hall fame) and Anne of Cleves.

Falmer village


Apart from all of these really great reasons for taking a look, St Laurence church regularly hosts free concerts with a retiring collection and there's a fabulous Farm shop that I've just discovered too.

Please note, best to check dates and times of events at the church and shop or you might end up going there when nothing's open.  To keep informed about upcoming events click here for Falmer Concerts Facebook Page and check out the Farm shop for local produce including apple juice, cheese, strawberries and sausages.


Falmer village

Falmer village

Falmer village

Grave stones, Falmer village

Falmer village

Falmer village

Falmer village



Not content with this outing I asked the Welsh One to help me find the lilacs I had read about in Withdean Park.

I love lilac, it has the most amazing scent and I love it's blousy, country cottage associations. The lilac trees at Kew are one of my favourite sections of it and yet what we found at the top of Withdean Park completely beats it (sorry Kew).

So, please enjoy these pictures and go smell them for yourself while they are still at their best.

Lilac in Withdean Park

Lilac in Withdean Park

Lilac in Withdean Park

Lilac in Withdean Park

Click here to Follow my blog with Bloglovin
SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig